Thursday, March 15, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes

It has been awhile again since I have made cupcakes. I used to make them every other day it seems, but this year cookies have become my passion. When I mentioned to my son that I wanted to make one last sweet for St. Patrick's Day, he said "cupcakes!" Cupcakes it is!
I don't like having a lot of something around, I do like staying in shape, so I decided to make these a little more figure friendly and simple but mixing one box of devil's food cake mix with 1 can of Diet Cherry Pepsi. That's all, no eggs, no oil, no butter, just the soda! Usually I end up with about 18 cupcakes using that method. Bake at 350 for about 18 minutes. They aren't the prettiest things, but they are fluffy and yummy!
I didn't want to make a trip to the store for decorations and I was lucky enough to already have St. Patrick's Day Cupcake liners in my arsenal of supplies. I had pretty much used all of my green candy coloring, so decided to use these "Spooky Green" Wilton Candy Melts, that I stocked up on over Halloween. They matched the shamrock cupcake liner quite well. I decided to put shamrocks on top using a Shamrock Printable that I found at Sherbet Blossom. I printed it out at at 150%. I put the melted candy melts into a piping bag and snipped the end off and traced and filled each shamrock and then put in the refrigerator to set up. Once all was ready, I used Wilton 1M tip to pipe on the icing and topped each cupcake with a shamrock.
I love making the cupcakes with soda! The soda gives the chocolate cupcake a hint of Cherry Pepsi flavor and I feel a little bit less guilty having one since it cuts the fat and calories down quite a bit!


  

Featured at: Hoosier Homemade

13 comments:

  1. These look so good! I haven't tried the soda and cake mix trick, but a great way to cut down calories. I have migraines (big time...) and so diet soda is a no no for me. :(
    The halloween melts are fantastic in that color. Wish I had stocked up last fall.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute cupcakes! And the cake mix/diet soda recipe sounds like a great idea.

    I love making toppers with candy melts too...I just posted some polka dot Easter eggs that I made with them. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these home-made shamrock toppers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! I love the idea of using diet soda. I need to try that. Love the shamrocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of using soda for cupcakes. I need to try that. They are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried these for some last minute St Patty's Day treats using Lemon cake mix and Diet 7UP. They are pretty tasty and so fluffy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable! Yum! I made some cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day and used ginger ale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so unbelievably clever! Love it!

    I host a foodie blog hop called Friday Food Fight. I would love for you to link up and share your cupcakes. hope to see you in the ring!

    http://deniseisrundmt.com/2012/03/16/irish-oatmeal-leek-soup/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cupcakes look yummy--never thought of mixing cake mix and soda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet! I am totally going to try soda with a cake mix soon. Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...